StoneAlgo Is Here to Help (Updates below)
Last Updated: 3/25/2020 2PM EST
What we know so far:
The federal government is providing guidelines for the nation as a whole from an epidemiology standpoint. These include things like social distancing, washing hands, not touching your face.
At a local level, states are instituting their own policies for closing businesses and instructing citizens to remain at home.
The most stringent of these policies from states has been a "Shelter In Place" order. Some states refer to it as such, others have euphemisms such as "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" like in the state of Washington. These all mean essentially the same thing: it requires citizens of that state to stay home unless they need to pursue an essential activity and any business not deemed essential is to close until further notice.
What does this mean for diamond sales?
There are two things to consider here when it comes to online diamond sales:
- Where is an online jeweler's fulfillment center located?
- Is that location in a state where a "Shelter in Place" order has been given?
If an online jeweler's fulfillment center is in a state where a shelter in place order has been given then in all likelihood that online jeweler will not be able to fulfill/ship orders. This is due to the fact that the "Shelter In Place" order comes with a closure of non-essential businesses. The list of essential businesses include things like hospitals, grocery stores, and critical infrastructure. All the online jewelers we have spoken with thus far (more on that below) have had their fulfillment facility (or equivalent) deemed non-essential when located in a "Shelter In Place" state.
When it comes to taking orders via their online store it is the online jeweler's decision whether or not they want to accept orders. At this point (3/25/20 2PM EST), we have seen a mixed bag of some online jewelers accepting orders but warning of unknown shipping dates and others not accepting orders at all.
Summary of what we know by online jeweler:
Each online jeweler below is constantly updating their situation and we will do our best to remain on top of them and update as we learn more:
- Blue Nile (Last Update: 3/29 10AM EST) - still accepting new orders and some of the shipping dates have been delayed, the dates listed next to each diamond on site are accurate. Some diamonds can ship sooner if held by Blue Nile locally (delivery as quick as 2 days).
- Brian Gavin (Last Update: 3/25 2PM EST) - still accepting new orders through online store and their best guess as to when the shipping date will be is April 3rd.
- Brilliance (Last Update: 3/25 2PM EST) - still accepting new orders depending on the precise diamond you are interested in.
- Brilliant Earth (Last Update: 3/25 2PM EST) - still accepting new orders but cannot meet standard delivery times due to global logistical challenges, the delivery dates will be updated as they learn more.
- B2C Jewels (Last Update: 3/25 2PM EST) - still accepting new orders but cannot currently fulfill due to non-essential business status in NY.
- Do Amore (Last Update: 3/25 2PM EST) - still accepting new orders through online store and the delivery dates will vary.
- Ritani (Last Update: 3/25 2PM EST) - still accepting new orders but cannot currently fulfill due to non-essential business status in NY, updated on delivery/fulfillment dates will be provided as they learn more.
- Whiteflash (Last Update: 3/25 2PM EST) - in-house inventory currently available for purchase and fulfillment.
Here are some tips for navigating this environment:
- If you need to secure a loose diamond during this time we can only recommend Whiteflash’s in-house inventory. All other jewelers have expressed an inability to guarantee delivery at this time.
- StoneAlgo is operating normally. We do not sell diamonds but we do help you find the best diamonds from the top online jewelers. So…
- If you can wait to place your order, this is a great time to do some thorough research. Our team of experts is here to advise you on all aspects of the diamond purchase. Chat us on site, we’re operating as normal and here to help.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out via chat here on the site or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We wish you and your family good health as we navigate the road ahead.
All the best,
The StoneAlgo Team